Sunday, December 8, 2013

My Cat


They say that cats are guardians against evil...

I have a habit of immersing myself in scary media from the Internet at night, so it bothers me when my pet cat, Spectre, would sneak up on me. For instance, while nervously reading the climax of a creepy pasta, she would suddenly appear at my window with a loud meow making me jump off my seat. Instead of seeing the face of a horrible monster, I would see my cat acting completely innocent. Damn it, Spectre!

Other times, after watching a horror movie and trying to get some sleep, I would suddenly hear noises under my bed. I would toss and turn trying to ignore what bumps in the night only to bravely check underneath and find Spectre noisily playing with the stuff I kept down there. Damn it, Spectre!

Entering my own room does not put me at ease. One night, with the lights off, I could see a pair of glowing eyes stare back at me and it was floating over my bed. I backed off at first then in realization I flipped the light switch and there was Spectre.

“Get off my bed!” I yelled at the cat. “Damn it, Spectre!”

I live alone. Spectre is my only company, so I shouldn’t complain about having her around. She scared me a couple of times but I feel secure having her around. It was partly my fault after all. I did enjoy scaring myself too much.

Time has passed and Spectre departed to the cat sanctuary in the sky. I’m now completely alone at my apartment but I still maintained my interest in horror.

Things have been different lately. I still hear noises outside my window expecting Spectre to suddenly pop out and scare me with a meow. I closed the tab with the horror story I was reading and checked outside my window. Nothing. Perhaps I’m turning paranoid.

I swear I could still hear noises in my room as I try to go to sleep. One night, I tried checking under the bed with the lights on. Nothing. I couldn’t sleep anyway so I decided to check online for some random reading. With Spectre in mind, I decided to check the numerous amount of cat content in the Internet. I should get a new cat.

A particular article caught my attention. It was about how cats are said to be the guardians against evil. Oh, I’ve read this before. It won’t hurt to read again. The article says that cats not only ward off evil spirits but can also sense them. It was nothing new, but it got me thinking. What if Spectre appeared whenever something else was around me? What if all this time, Spectre was trying to protect me? It was getting late so I decided to head back to my room. Before I switched on the lights, I could see a pair of glowing eyes stare at me. There was something on my bed breathing heavily.

"S-s-spectre?" I flipped the switch. My room was empty.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews