Thursday, May 15, 2014

Falling Leaves

A leaf gently landed on me as I sat on the park one weekend. I couldn't help but recall an urban legend that used to be popular among my peers.

They say that this town is haunted by a monster that takes flight at night. It would carry leaves in its claws which it drops over its prey. Those unlucky enough to venture out at night would hear the sound of wings nearby followed by the presence of leaves falling around them. The bodies of the victims were found ripped open with some of their internal organs missing.

One of my friends claimed that he was marked by the creature before. He took a stroll back home noticing some leaves hitting him. Oddly, no trees were nearby. After realizing his situation, he quickly ran back home. He never saw the creature. However, not everyone was as lucky.

There was a man who was struck with leaves one night and claimed that he saw the creature itself. According to him, the creature looked like a demon with a wolf-like head and had bat-like wings. In panic, he got into his car then drove back home. He swore to never go outside at night ever again. One the beats marks its prey, it would usually try to get them again in later nights. Eventually, other victims attributed to the monster happened and the man believed himself off the creature's plans.

However, an important business meeting occurred one night which required the man's presence. Believing himself safe, he attended. The next day, his car was found covered in leaves. The car door was wide open. And the corpse... nevermind.

I could see my friend approaching nearby. He had a nervous look on his face. I waved to greet him. He sat beside me.

"Your tone of voice sound so urgent when you called to meet me here, Justin" I told him. "Is there something bothering you?"

"Yes" he shivered. "Take a look at this, Richard."

Justin took out a leaf from his pocket and nervously dropped it.

"I saw it" he said. "It's after me now."

"Nonsense! It's just a legend!"

"It's true!" he yelled. "I saw the demon with my own eyes! Richard, it grinned at me as leaves fell from his hands."

I could see the panicked look on his eyes.

"I believe you" I assured him.

"What do I do?" he asked.

"Well, for one, you can give up on your night life. It's a matter of life and death after all."

Justin didn't speak. I fell silent as well. A few more leaves fell as the wind blew. Justin frantically looked around his surroundings but saw no presence.

"Listen" I told him. "I'll pass by your boarding house now and then. Just don't go out at night, okay?"

He nodded.

----------

I did as promised.

On my way back home after work, I'd take the longer route just to pass by Justin's place. Now, I don't think my presence will do anything to deter such a creature, but at least it keeps him assured that I'm watching out for signs of the monster stalking him.

I don't really know how true the urban legend is. I just assumed that some cryptid bat was wrongly blamed for what a serial killer could do. I brought a hand gun with me just in case of real danger.

Each day, around 7 pm, I passed by the boarding house looking at Justin's window from the 3rd floor. For the next few days, nothing seemed unusual. Except one night when the window was wide open. I rushed inside the boarding house to get to him.

I instructed Justin to never open the window.

I busted open his door with a kick hearing growls and screams within. I took out my handgun and switched on the lights.

Right before me, I saw the creature. It was just as Justin described it: a demon. In its sharp claws was Justin's lifeless corpse. I fired a few round at the beast but it flew out of the window.

I ran towards the window and saw the creature fly away. The commotion attracted curious people to the room. I heard them talking amongst themselves. There were leaves everywhere.

----------

I attended Justin's funeral. People began to walk away as the rites ended. Wind blew hard carrying so many leaves and dust with it. Many who were there grunted as the gust struck them. I covered my face as the wind blew even harder.

As I tried to regain my vision, I could see something hide behind the bushes. Smiling. I took out my hand gun to aim at it. But as my vision cleared and the wind stopped, the creature vanished.

Everyone brushed off the leaves that got stuck on them. I gasped when I realized that everyone here was marked now.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews