Wednesday, June 25, 2014

City of Masks (Chapter 11)



It’s been a few days. I watch as our food supply slowly grew less.

“Why don’t we just go hunting?” I suggested over lunch.

“There aren’t any animals around” Renei replied.

Now that I think about it, I haven’t seen any around. Not even stray dogs or rats anywhere. Renei took a spoonful of food into her mouth.

“Do we have to go back?” I whined.

“Hunger demands it” Renei replied taking another spoonful.

“But the birdman might get us.”

Renei took another bite while giving me an annoyed look. She swallows her food.

“Says the girl who didn’t mind the priest.”

Until now, I still don’t know what’s going on. Looking back, I just happen to wake up somewhere without any memories. Renei tells me she doesn’t remember anything either.

“That mansion…” I muttered.

“Hmm?”

“We should visit it soon.”

Renei looked hesitant. She looked almost worried. Was she… shivering?

“What’s wrong?”

She jolted up. “Nothing. Nothing. I just think we should restock fist before doing another trip there.”

“Fine then.”

Renei anxiously ate her meal and quickly finished it.

----------

The next day, we set for walking back into the city. Renei lead me with her usual route. A while later, we were at the dusty city’s edge.

“Let’s check on the priest” I said.

Our last memory of him wasn’t exactly good. It seemed like he just wanted to keep us like cattle, but maybe we just misinterpreted him.

“I did not take a shortcut to meet that monster again!” Renei complained.

“Fine” I replied. “I’ll go to the cathedral myself. I’ll catch up.”

I walked towards the direction of the cathedral. Even if he does catch us, we can still outrun him.

“Flor!” I heard Renei call me. “Get back here! Flor! Darn it!”

I knew she’d follow me.

----------

We stood outside the cathedral’s doors.

“I’m sure he’d be happy to see us” I said.

“Me too” Renei replied. “I’d be happy to have fast food delivered on my doorstep.”

I knocked on the door.  I could hear Renei nervously squeal as the door opened by itself. Line rushed in to the dark cathedral. There, we saw the priest lying on the floor without his mask.

He was dead.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews