Monday, February 24, 2014

Leviathan (pt. 1/2)


It was too late for me. The storm raged on as I fall off the ship and plunge into the waters. The powerful waves drew me further into the perilous sea.

As the image of the ship shrank from view, I feel the presence of something lurking beneath me. Lightning flashed revealing the silhouette of a creature, maybe a whale, right below me.

In desperation, I try to swim away. At this point, I could no longer see the ship.

Finally, the creature emerged. It was unimaginably bigger than I expected. Its wide maw engulfed the surrounding waters swallowing me along with it. As I find silence in this darkness away from the storm, the water still raged on drifting me to God knows where.

----------

The bright sunlight woke me up on a wooden bed inside a hut. I looked outside the open window and smelled the familiar scent of the sea. The sky was peaceful with clouds drifting by the gentle breeze. The hut was stationed by a sandy beach. I could see a few neighbouring homes and some locals dressed in clothes made of animal skin.

“Are you alright?” a woman asked me. She must be the resident.

“I am fine” I said. “Where am I?”

“You’re on Monad Island” she replied.

“Where is that?” I asked. “Are we near any other country or continent?”

“Huh?” she reacted. “There is only Monad Island.”

----------

There is no other land, only Monad. That is what they told me.

I was introduced to the elders. I explained the events that lead me to where I am now. To them, it was perplexing to think of where I came from. I was a sailor, a voyager of the seas. I’ve travelled and saw many places. It was a big shock for me to arrive in such an isolated island. I described my home, a huge bustling city by the sea where commerce and travel boomed.

“The myths are true” the chief spoke. “Could there be land beyond this one?”

“All I say is true” I replied. “Pray tell, where do your people come from?”

It occurred to me that I could understand their language. There were a few variations and maybe a hint of accent, but nevertheless, it was the same tongue.

“Our ancestors were created from a powerful tempest” the chief said. “The waves took form and became human. This dry land is a blessing from the sun god for us to dwell in.”

My face reacted with scepticism. But, I dare not speak against their beliefs.

----------

I began to learn their ways of life. I’ve learned to fish, forage and hunt for food.

The sun never seems to rise and set. But, I notice a cycle of it disappearing from the sky. Such time is referred to as night. I am a terrible keeper of time, but I find the emergence of light at inconsistent paces. Some days are significantly shorter than the others.

There were a few odd days of gathering. Sometimes, massive amounts of fish and other sea creatures would wash ashore and we have to collect these as food source. Other times, it would literally rain with these creatures.

The desire to return back home decayed as I learn to adapt. But, I could not help feel uneasy over the oddity of this place. I try to ask my fellow hunters what causes it. But, they tell me that they never bother to question the sun god’s will. These are all normal to them.

---------

As I try to sleep in my own hut, I had nightmares about the storm that brought me here. The moment a huge sea monster consumed replayed in my head. But, there was something missing. There was not a hint of me escaping. Darkness was all around me only to find light again at Monad.

I woke up.

I stared at the sky that countered my initial beliefs. It took me time to realize it but, I never escaped that sea monster.

---------

Where did this island come from?

I requested to go exploring to find some answers. I started with walking around the island sticking to the beach sides rather than going within the forest.

I brought a makeshift notebook with me made of dried leaves. It wasn’t perfect, but at least it served well. I sketched out the shape of the island. It was almost perfectly circular in shape.

In the next few days, I set off to find volcanic activity. There were a few hills and elevations but no mountain.  To my surprise, there wasn’t anything significant that relates to my search. I imagined that this island would be formed by an underwater volcano but now I think it’s just dirt that gathered and piled in the middle of the ocean.

---------

I was given the chance to scan their temple one day. The materials used in its construction were noticeably different from the huts.

As I pass through the hall, I could not help but observe what the structure was made of. Ship parts. Ancient pieces of see vessels from centuries ago. How did it get here?

I inquired over the building’s origin.

“When our people formed from the waters, the sun god granted them a ship to reach our island” the priest told me. “But, without any other land to travel to, it was deconstructed to form this temple.”

I recall some lectures on old navy ships. The parts used here were consistent with such old designs. It now makes sense that these people are from the same world I grew up in.

---------

I was given the opportunity to study their sacred texts which they also treat as their account of history.

It was a review of what I’ve already been told. What particularly got me was the storm in the myths as it seems to parallel how I got here.

I skipped a couple of pages and found a title that caught my eye: the apocalypse. It was a prophecy that narrated the end of Monad.

“The ocean shall rise as the stench of the dead fill the air. The sky itself would fall and all of life will cease. The same storm that brought all to exist shall be the mark of its coming death.”

I was alarmed. It all made sense now. I must warn the chief.

----------

“This island, no, this entire ocean is inside the belly of a large sea creature” I said. “Its unimaginable size allowed what appears to be an endless body of water to exist while the accumulation of matter it has consumed formed this island.”

The chief paid attention to me. But, the priests looked at me like a heretic.

“I was lost at sea during a powerful tempest” I continued. “I believe that this creature reacted to the turbulence and emerged from the depths. But, that’s not all. According to the prophecy, if it were disturbed by another storm, the stress it undergoes can lead to its death.”

Everyone was silent.

“That is a lie!” a priest yelled. “Imprison the heretic!”

---------

I was taken to a cavern which serves as their prison facility. I must consider myself fortunate that they didn’t execute me. My life on the island turned upside down the moment I gave my revelation. For trying to speak the truth, I find myself locked among thieves and murderers.

I reflected back on what I said. Perhaps my words were too silly and offensive to their beliefs. I could not even believe what I said.

I did not bother to attempt escape. There is only Monad Island. I have no other place to go. From this scale, the world has rejected me.

Continued at Leviathan (pt. 2/2)...

No comments :

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews