Friday, March 28, 2014

City of Masks (Chapter 8)


The next day was rather awkward. Whatever happened last night, the priest doesn’t seem bothered by it. The mask he wore hid his expressions but the tone of his voice made it seem as if there was no odd occurrence.

Me and Renei kept a poker face as the priest walks around the cathedral sweeping the floor. Renei took out a can of food and passed it to me. She then took one for herself.

“We only have enough for a few more days” she said.

A shadow suddenly covered us making us jump. It was the priest. He bent down and looked at the can Renei was holding. She shivered. The priest rubbed his chin in curiosity then raised a finger to the air as if he realized something.

“R’oo yv yzxp” he said.

“Um… okay” I faked a smile. A faint memory of last night replayed in my head as I looked at his masked face. He went for the exit and waved at us.

“Where’s he going?” Renei asked.

“Beats me” I replied.

“Now’s our chance, Flor.”

“For what?”

“To leave and get back to my place.”

“But he told us to stay put.”

“No, he didn’t.”

“Oh, right. But we shouldn’t leave.”

“Why not!?” Renei’s face turned more hostile.

“I wanna see the graveyard.”

Renei was speechless. She gave me a what-are-you-thinking sort of look.

“You’re insane” she finally spoke.

“I’ll just make a quick peek, then we leave, okay?”

Renei looked hesitant.

“Please” I begged.

“Fine.”

----------

“What do you suppose we’ll learn from this anyway?” Renei asked as we approached the altar.

“We could find out stuff about the masked people maybe” I replied.

“They’re monsters.”

“Maybe they’re like werewolves. They only become violent cannibals at night but forget about it the next day.”

“Twist: they’re monsters day-in and day-out.”

We retraced our steps from last night and found the door to the graveyard. I grabbed the handle.

“Let’s find out” I said as I opened the door.

Light shone in giving us a clear view of an old graveyard. I could hear crows, or maybe ravens squawking. The place actually looks rather peaceful in contrast to the uneasy feel night would’ve given it.

“You almost puked the last time we were here” Renei said. “That was gross.”

“You’re the gross one for watching.”

“I was being cautious.”

We treaded around the area. Walking far enough, we see a huge farm up ahead and a few hills. Renei kept looking around.

“This place looks familiar” she said.

“You remember something?”

“Not from before finding myself in the city.”

“Oh.”

“That landscape over there. I see it whenever I walk back to the city from my base.”

“Can we go to your place from here?”

“Even better. It looks like a shortcut. Glad I let you drag me all the way back here while that priest was gone.”

“Oh, right” I said. “We better get back just in case he arrives early.”

I ran back to the cathedral.

“Wait up!” I heard Renei follow me.

We were near the back door and panted as we walked towards it.

“We should’ve just fled for the hills” Renei said.

We stepped back inside only to find the priest standing in there waiting for us.

“You’re early” I nervously said.

I just noticed that he brought a couple of boxes with him. He opened one and took out some sealed food then handed it to me and Renei.

“He’s just fattening us up for his meal” Renei whispered.

I gulped.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews