Tuesday, April 15, 2014

City of Masks (Chapter 9)


“I guess he doesn’t want us to leave” I said over lunch.

“Flor” Renei muttered.

“What?”

“He’s staring at us.”

She’s right. The priest just looked at us as we ate. I tried not to pay heed to his emotionless mask.

“Some of the food he brought were already spoiled” Renei complained.

“Renei!”

“What?”

“Not out loud.”

“He can’t understand us anyway.”

At least that’s what it seems. The priest bowed his head slightly in sorrow. I approached him.

“Hey” I spoke. “We need to go somewhere.”

“Ziv blf ovzermt?”

“We need to check Renei’s place you see.”

“And maybe use my stash of food instead” she said out loud.

“Renei!” I scolded her.

I looked back at the priest. He seemed upset.

“We’ll be back to visit you now and then. Promise!”

The priest didn’t say anything. I went near Renei. “Let’s go.”

She stood up and we both headed for the back door. As we got near the altar however, the priest stood up and blocked  us.

“Rg’h wzmtvilfh!” he yelled.

I panicked. “What are you doing!?”

“Let us go!” Renei shouted.

“WL MLG LVZEV!”

----------

“I told you that he’s evil!” Renei told me as we sat inside our room.

“I don’t believe it” I whimpered.

“What’s not to believe?”

This is all wrong. He can’t be just keeping us prisoners, right? The thought of Renei being correct on this one bothers me. Is he really just fattening us up for food? Is he tired of eating dead bodies that he wants something fresh now?

“We need to escape” Renei said.

“How?”

“I’ll throw this expired canned good he gave us and knock him out.”

“Seriously?”

“I have a good aim!” Renei stood up. “Watch!”

“Renei!”

She opened the door with haste and started looking for the priest at the ground floor.

“There he is” she said with a gleeful smile.

“I don’t think it’s gonna – Renei!”

She already threw the can. I heard the can rattling as it hit the world. I rushed towards her and looked down. And there the priest lied unconscious.  I don’t believe it.

“Let’s get our stuff” Renei told me. “C’mon, hurry up.”

The next thing I knew, we were outside running through the cemetery.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews